Registered Nurse – Operating Room
REPORTS TO: Administrator, Director of Nursing & O.R. Charge Nurse
STATUS: Direct Hire Permanent Position – Full Time
SALARY: $28.00 – $38.00 / hour (Based on experience)
BENEFITS: Cigna PPO, Dental, Vision, Matching 401k up to 6% at 50%
SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday (No nights or weekends) 6:00am – 3:00pm
LOCATION: Fayetteville, NC
Performs nursing activities in the operating room where the circulating nurse is the patient’s advocate. Provides nursing care to the patient. Answers patient needs by assisting the physician and person responsible for anesthesia care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communicates effectively with patients, visitors, supervisors/management, physicians, and co-workers.
- Interactions are respectful and courteous.
- Communicates effectively and professionally using a translator when necessary.
- Documents that information received from the patient are disseminated to the appropriate people or departments.
- Maintains and promotes professional competence through continuing education and other learning experiences.
- Participates in committees, conferences and quality management activities.
- Submits pertinent articles for review at staff meetings.
- Seeks new learning experiences by accepting challenging opportunities and responsibilities.
- Objectively evaluates suggestions or criticisms and attempts to improve performance or seeks further guidance, as needed.
- Attends and actively participates in meetings, committee and inservices according to job responsibilities and Facility requirements.
- Assists with orientation and training of new personnel and acts as a resource person for patient care problems.
- Supports the philosophy, goals and objectives of the Organization.
- Supports, and performs according to, approved policies and procedures.
- Participates as a team member in support of the total perioperative process.
- Considers patient rights in performance of job duties and responsibilities.
- Contributes to the progress and development of the approved Quality Improvement Program.
- Supports risk management and participates in programs directed to patient and staff safety.
- Contributes to the quality management process; identifies role and contributes upon request; participates in data collection activities in support of the Quality Improvement Program.
- Objectively evaluates suggestions, grievances and processes to identify opportunities to improve performance and quality of care.
- Adheres to safety policies and procedures in performing job duties and responsibilities.
- Reports observed or suspected violations, hazards and noncompliance according to Facility policy.
- Observes safety measures in performance of job duties and responsibilities; enforces compliance with safety and security policies and procedures.
- Responds to emergency situations with competence and composure.
- Interacts appropriately with various age groups.
- Accurately assesses and interprets age-specific patient data.
- Accurately interprets age-specific patient responses to questions and instructions.
- Involves the patient’s family/significant other in decision-making about the patient’s care.
- Provides care appropriate to the patient’s age group.
- Accurately applies knowledge of growth and development.
- Considers age-specific patient requirements when responding to emergency situations.
- Organizes time, equipment, supplies, and staff to provide effective case management.
- Supervises and directs patient care in a single operating room.
- Organizes nursing activities efficiently and effectively delegating activities appropriate to the abilities of available staff members.
- Considers cost-containment by using supplies economically and in effective turnover time.
- Assists with supplies, drugs and equipment inventories to maintain stock level and availability.
- Addresses patient needs during admission to the operating room with attention to requirements specific to the outpatient setting.
- Transports patients to the operating room according to Facility policy, safety requirements and patient needs.
- Identifies the patient and correct surgical intervention according to Facility policy and communicates with all surgical team members.
- Reviews the patient’s medical record and needs to plan care with other health care team members.
- Provides comfort and reassurance to the patient; maintains patient’s privacy and dignity.
- Explains intraoperative phase routine procedures and care to the patient.
- Performs the circulating nurse’s functions adhering to approved operating room procedures for the scheduled procedure.
- Prepares operating room according to the procedure to be performed and patient needs.
- Assembles and provides properly functioning equipment, supplies and instruments before start of procedure; positions and adjusts equipment as required during the procedure.
- Anticipates needs of the surgical team; assists anesthesia staff by supporting the patient during administration and emergence of anesthesia.
- Assists with the proper and safe positioning of the patient and prepares the operative site as directed by consented procedure.
- Monitors compliance with principles of aseptic technique according to accepted standards.
- Assists with identification and confirmation of operative site, performs accurate surgical time out.
- Provides for comfort in the physical environment by monitoring designated parameters.
- Provides continuity of patient care by communicating with other perioperative care personnel and documenting records appropriately.
- Responds in a timely manner to meet the needs of the patient and physician.
- Accurately comprehends and interprets verbal orders and direction.
- Documents patient care records and other forms accurately according to Facility policy.
- Accurately advises others responsible for patient care about the patient’s status.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and TRAINING:
Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two year college and technical school; six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Nursing License
- PALS (preop/postop RN)
Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment.
We’re looking for a people person who is compassionate, detail oriented, and wanting to make a difference in patients’ lives.
Interested and want to learn more? Apply below.
YOUR IDEAL EXPERIENCE..
“Connecting people and creating a path to thrive together” IS AT THE HEART OF ALL WE DO.
Our passionate and dedicated team will help you navigate through your career journey starting from Day 1. We’ll take care of everything, so you can focus on what you do best.
We’re thrilled you are thinking about embarking on the iDEAL Path.
Exciting new adventure awaits!